Pages

Monday, September 26, 2005

Meeting Mia


Today I got to meet my niece, Mia Borgstrom Taylor. Barb and Zach picked me up at Boston airport and Mia was tucked away in her car seat. Tonight was a rough night for the new family and great hope was being placed in the rhythmic movement of the car along the highway. For a few brief moments, hope was not disappointed, by the time we arrived home Mia was out. But not for long; the transfer from the car seat to the crib was deadly. It was close to midnight before she fell back asleep again.

Mia was born on Sunday, September 4th at 4:30pm, one day before her due date. She is now 21 days old and is as cute as a button. My brother in law gave her the nick name tree frog because she squeaks when she is eating. I'm not sure what tree frogs look like but I am guessing they are no where as cute as Mia.

My first niece, Celia Patricia Morell Borgstrom, my brother's 6 year old, introduced me to the title of Tia. My brother's wife, is from Spain and thus my niece is bilingual. Tia is the Spanish word for aunt and I only had to hear it once to know that Tia was the title for me. Being new to the decade of the 3os, Tia is a title that says "I am young, I am hip, I am fun". While Aunt seems a bit boring and crumedgen like. Unfortunately Tia has not stuck with Celia. She calls me Auntie Karen...go figure! I am hoping if I start early with Mia she will know no different and Tia Karen will stick. Regardless I love being an aunt and look forward to watching Celia and Mia grow into themselves.

No comments: