Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

An All American Evening

I feel so American tonight.  It is Halloween.  Bill and I stayed home and handed out candy to the kids.  Bill started watching Ghost Hunters and I broke open my mail from the US Government.  

10 years have passed and the Census Bureau is asking questions again.  They asked all sorts of questions about the amount of acreage I live on, if I had given birth in the last 12 months, and how long it takes me to get to work.  It was fun to mark that I had been married in the last year. I licked the envelop and dropped it in the mailbox.  I can't wait to read the report and see myself as a statistic.    

Next came the Voter's Guide and Absentee Voter's Ballet.  I read through the arguments for and against measures for animal rights, a high speed train from San Francisco to L.A. and bonds for capital improvements for Children's hospitals - among other things.  I have more measures to read about tomorrow.  And of course I filled in the box for my choice for the next president of the U.S. 

What a great nation we live in.  I get to voice my opinion about everything from rehabilitation measures for drug dealers to weather or not a chicken should have the right to spread it's wings. All from the comfort of my home - while neighborhood kids walk the streets dressed as fairies and firemen asking for candy.

1 comment:

RU said...

We banned Halloween this year! I felt equally "all-American" doing so - simply because I can :)
You do realize that by voting absentee they never count your vote- unless the election is close (which it isn't in CA). I used to vote absentee but Matt talked me out of it. Of course, this year I would have taken the absentee over a 3 hour line!! It was so nutso here- only 2 voting booths for an entire district. Hello- anyone with some common sense????? given the election results- apparently not!