I saw the surgeon this morning and got a great report. My wounds are healed and my muscle strength is good so he removed my stitches and cleared me of my crutches and brace. It is glarious. I feel like a new woman! All of the sudden I can get my own Diet Coke from the ridge, carry my dinner plate to the table, and do laundry without help. To top it off, I can finally take a real shower (verses a sponge bath) and shave my legs. Bill put it well tonight when he said, "the house will soon be back on kilter".* I think we both are excited at the prospects!
The doctor showed me pictures of my knee. Turns out I have some damage to my cartilage. Nothing that needs to be addressed immediately but he did encourage me to start introducing low impact exercises into my routine. I guess my 4 marathons have caught up with me.
The really good news is that he thinks I will be back on the soccer field in 6-8 months verses the 8-12 months we originally talked about. The contingency is that I stay on track with my rehab. Because I had strong quad muscles going into surgery, I should be able to rebuild my quad strength in 6 months, giving me the ability to do the mechanical work of soccer, i.e. cutting in and out and quickly changing direction. The question will be weather or not I have the endurance to run/sprint; hence the extra couple of months.
So in more ways than one, the house and life as I know it will soon be back on kilter.
*On Saturday, as Bill was rooting through the three piles of unfolded laundry on the couch, looking for his soccer uniform, he said, "I think it is safe to say, when mom is broken the house is off kilter." That made my OCD cleaning and organizing heart happy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment