Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

My First Night in California

When I decided to move to California, my sister graciously agreed to drive across the country with me.  I left Cleveland on a Tuesday and picked her up in Chicago.  By Thursday, October 7th, afternoon we had arrived in Tahoe National Park for a night of camping.

Despite the fact that our dad had taken us camping as kids, we somehow forgot all of the necessities for camping.  No food, no flashlights, no fire making utensils.  We had out tent and our sleeping bags.  We spent the afternoon hiking and went to bed as soon as the sun went down.

I remember hiking and talking with my sister and thinking how thankful I was to have her with me as I made this transition.  She was with me when I went to college and moved into the dorms.  My transition to college was a bit unnerving and this move across the country was no different.  But somehow having my big sister there made it a little easier.

We enjoyed our night in the woods and laughed at our lack of planning.  The next morning we were on the road early enough to make it to my brother's in time for lunch.


My sister reading to me in bed - 1977

No comments: