Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies: Round 2

I tried again and they came out worse.  I got a little over confident in my baking so now my endeavor to bake the best chocolate chip cookie is going to drag on for a few more weeks.  I suppose the silver lining is that I'll have more blog posts!

So what did I do this time?  The simple answer is TOO MUCH!

I started off by mixing the ingredients and batter a little bit differently:
  • As instructed by my co-workers, I let the butter come to room temperature. Well maybe my room was a little warm.  The butter was oozing all over the counter when I got around to making my cookies.
  • I whipped the eggs.  The more I whip my eggs before I scramble them they come out fluffier.  That doesn't transfer to cookies?
  • I beat the sugar, egg batter for several minutes before adding the flour.  Isn't that what I read about making cakes light and fluffy?
Than I got the brilliant idea of trying to make the cookies a little healthier: 
  • I used half white floor and half wheat floor.  Flour is flour right?
  • I substituted some of the sugar for molasses.  I swear I read about that substitution on some healthy blog!
Please don't laugh at me.

They were so bad.  They were even flatter than my first batch and the whole wheat flour made them grainy and the mollasses turned them a dark brown.  They looked burnt!

Half way through the the dough I gave up on trying to make these cookies for someone to enjoy and decided to experiment with ways to redeem my cookies from their flatness.  Thanks to Google (gotta love those cool people that work at Google!) I discovered that cooling the cookie dough and cookie sheet as well as stacking (one blogger recommended the dough stand 1/4 of an ich high) the dough high on the cookie sheet can help.  I tried those recommendations but my cookies were doomed. 

They all went in the trash.

But not all is lost!  I am now armed with good information for round three.  I will follow the instructions exactly as written and I will not let my butter melt at room temperature.

Stay tuned!

No comments: