When Nathan was 7 or 8 weeks old I started doing a dream feed with him. The last thing I do before I go to bed, between 10pm and 11pm, is feed Nathan. At the time it was my attempt to get him to sleep longer between feedings. Now, at almost 6 months, most nights Nathan will sleep until 6 or 7 before needing to eat again.
Last week I told Bill I was going to try and skip the dream feed and see how he did. As I crawled into bed I realized that those feedings had become more than just me getting Nathan to sleep longer at night. For the last 12 weeks every night I had sat in the dark and held my warm baby while he slept and ate. How could I not end my day that way? So I jumped out of bed and I feed him.
Since that night I've been much more mindful of my time with Nathan during these feedings. It has dawned on me that this time is very, very short. Before I know it Nathan will be done nursing and soon after that he'll be too big to hold in my lap. So now, rather than rushing through the feedings and contemplating when I am going to drop them, I linger a little longer with my baby boy and think it doesn't get much better than this.


No comments:
Post a Comment