- About mile 11 my stomach launched a revolt against me. I've heard people take of the horror but have never experience it myself. Until now. Imagine...your stomach rumbles and you know if you don't stop NOW things could get unsightly. You look around for a port-a-potty; nothing. You look left and right for a good bush; not much to choose from. You run a little faster, thinking the porta-a-potty must be just beyond the next hill. The rumbles return. You do a head check. Your stomach rumbles again. Suddenly nothing matters and you are in the ditch becoming one with nature. Repeat that scene 6 times and you've got a picture of my mile 11-17.
- By mile 13 the sun was high in the sky and the temperature was well into the 80's. I think I spent at least 1 mile wondering why a state that has only a couple of months of summer, i.e. 90+ temperatures, and mostly winter (6 months of snow), would schedule a marathon in their hottest month.
- The elevation was 4000 feet. San Jose is at 200. Do I need to say more?
- Chotaue, Montana has a population of 1,781. The course was 30 miles outside of town. Translation - the course was in the middle of no where and there were no crowds cheering the racers on. At many points a long the way I saw no one - no runners, no aid stations, not even a cow! A far cry from Honolulu.
They say a marathon can be divided into two races. Mile 1-20 and the last 6.2. I hit the 20 miler marker and I sobered up to the reality that I would not finish in less than 5 hours. I spent more time walking than running - spent a few miles wondering why I considered myself a runner and than decided my blog would be depressing if I did not think of some good things about this marathon. Here are all the good things...
- I ran mile 1- 10 in sub 10 minute miles and felt great. I feel really optimistic about the San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon in October.
- I spent the 4 days prior to the race exploring Glacier National Park with my fabulous husband. Wow - a return trip is definitely in order! More on that in another blog entry.
- My dad and I have another marathon to add to the repertoire of running memories. Montana was number 3 for the two of us.
- In my four months of training I discovered a number of new running spots n the South Bay, I made new friends, and re-connected with old ones.
- And the highlight of it all...I discovered just how supportive and encouraging my husband is - I knew I made a good decision.

No comments:
Post a Comment