Moab Utah - June 19th - 22nd
We started with a spontaneous trip to Moab, Utah. Bill's friends were gathering there for a long weekend and invited us to tag along. We explored Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, and Slick Rock Park. All beautiful and amazing places.
This trip was smack dab in the middle of my marathon training. On Sunday I was scheduled to run 14 miles. Moab sits at 4000 feet and was scheduled to be 90 degrees that weekend so all in all it was an ideal place for a training run. Like the marathon, it was a tough run. Heat + elevation + long distances of running = misery. But there despite the challenge the run was the highlight of the Moab trip. Bill drop me off 14 miles out. At mile 7 he meet me with a Gatorade refill. At mile 11 I called for an early pick up. I was toast. As we drove towards the campsite he made a sudden left hand turn into a hotel parking lot. I was speechless! While I was out running Bill packed up all our stuff and had negotiated with the hotel owner to "rent" the room for a few hours. How glorious! An air conditioned room to nap and take a hot shower in. I have a fabulous husband. :)
Climbing in Courtright - July 4th Weekend
A few weeks after Moab we went to Courtright for the annual rock climbing trip. It was a great weekend hanging out with old friends and meeting new ones. We also had some good climbing and hiking. This was an interesting trip for me. Last summer Bill and I where dating when we went to Courtright. That trip was a turning point for me in our relationship. The time away from the routine of life gave me time to slow down and have a number of conversations with God. At the end of it all I realized how much and how well Bill loved me. I did not want to live with out him. Two weeks later we were engaged. Courtright will also be a special place to me.
Montana Marathon - August 12th - 17th
August arrived and we were off to Montana for the big run. Before the marathon we spent 3 days in Glacier National Parks. Another amazing place. We hiked, took a boat ride, and toured the Going to the Sun Road. The Going to the Sun Road was the highlight of the trip. The tour takes you from the eastern side of the park to the western side via a Red Bus. The Red Bus is a 1936 bus that has an open roof and windows. Highlights of the tour - driving over the Continental Divide, seeing a Glacier, and hearing the tour guide take about fun facts. On this trip we started playing Nerts. Thanks Todd and Karie for the introduction. We played hours of cards and discovered just how competitive we both our. Marriage is a never ending journey of discovery!
We closed out the summer with my inaugural trip to the Parker family cabin on Lake Kirkwood. Wow! What a treasure. Bill's Dad and brothers has spent much of the last year standardizing the cabin. They have done amazing work!
The cabin was originally built in the 1930's and is completely off the grid; literally. You get to the cabin by rowing across the lake. No PG&E lines or sewer system on the lake. The lights are a result of solar panels and the your toilet options are the composting toilet in the house or the outhouse off the back porch. Add to that no cell phone, internet, or T.V. and you are off the grid.
But you hardly notice being off the grid. The area is surrounded with great hikes and beautiful lakes. We hiked, slept, played cards and participated in a lake clean up with the other cabin owners. Sunday morning I sat on the dock and read my book. That was my favorite!
In between all our trips we did a few more projects on the house, started talking about getting a puppy, bought a new car, and had fun with our friends wine tasting, watching Shakespeare, and following the presidential race.
Our first summer of marriage was good. One of Bill's mentors told him the best way to prepare for being an old married couple is to learn to be a young married couple. I think we are getting off to a good start.



1 comment:
Looks like so much fun! I am glad that life is going well for you guys :)
Post a Comment