Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

One Fish, Two Fish, Little Brand New Fish

And it turns out the little brand new fish is a boy!  Yep, that is right I am only 13.5 weeks along and they were able to determine the sex.  Here is a picture to prove it.  :)


Although the sexual organs are formed in the first month of gestation, they tell you they usually can't see anything until 18-20 weeks.  So when I went in for mt NT Ultrasound* last Friday I was not expecting to find out the sex.  As soon as I sat down the technichian asked me if I wanted to know the sex if she could capture it.  With much delight I said yes!

It did not take long for the technician to capture the shot above.  Of course looking at it meant nothing to me but when she pointed out the two white femur bones and the corresponding hip bones it became crystal clear.  Our baby had a package between his legs!

I asked the technician if she was usually right when she predicted the sex.  She said yes.  I asked her how many babies she had looked at.  She told me she had been an ultrasound technician for 30 years.  I have a high degree of confidence it is a boy! 

Now to figure out a name.  We were all set with a girl's name but the boy names seem harder!   

*A nuchal translucency ultrasound combined with blood tests are done at 11-13.6 weeks to assess the risk for Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18.  The initial results indicate that there is a very low chance of our little guy having Downs (1:2,300) or Trimosy 18 (1:65,000).  I'll get another round of tests done at 18 weeks to confirm these results.  We are very grateful for these initial results. 

P.S. The title of this post came from this adorable card my friend Colleen sent me.  I knew as soon as I read it that I had to find a way to include it in my blog.  Thanks Colleen!




1 comment:

RU said...

they did these tests on me and they turned out to be wrong. Our baby tested positive for Trisomy 18 (wesley)... it caused a lot of angst and they even talked me into getting an amnio. In hindsight, I would NEVER repeat that or any of the tests. It caused a lot of needless worry. We had NO tests with Zack and I much preferred it that way. There is no amount of "knowing" that "helps you prepare" - nothing can prepare you for an unhealthy baby... I hope that you can rest and have peace regardless of the test results (the stats have a wide standard deviation so are not the most accurate; plus your hormone fluxes can cause a faulty reading).

So excited to hear a mr. Parker is on the way. You always said you wanted boys :) They are fun!