As one of our friends put it the following story is something from a movie.
Over Thanksgiving weekend we found out that Marina is pregnant. I know! I am pregnant and Marina is pregnant! Is there something in the water at Parker Pond???
The day after we returned from our Babymoon I woke up to splatters of blood on the kitchen floor. At first I thought I had cut myself shaving in the shower but than I realized that Murphy* was obsessed with Marina and would not leave her alone. Based on some very limited knowledge I had on how dogs procreate, I went about my morning thinking we had some time before Marina was fertile. Bad assumption on my part.
I put them in the backyard like I do every morning before we leave for work and a few minutes later I heard Marina whining. I went to the back door to discover Murphy and Marina doing the deed. I screamed at Murphy to get away from Marina and quickly ran out to separate the dogs. Bill came running out to see what was going on. We tried to "pull" the dogs apart put they did not budge and Marina started whining even more. I went inside to search the web for how dogs procreate while Bill grabbed the hose and sprayed Murphy with cold water. Well to make a long story short, there was nothing we could do. Dogs don't "come part" once they have entered each other. The deed had been done. I guess that makes us doggie grandparents**.
Marina's puppies are due December 26th. On the 18th we'll take her to our breeders and they will manage the whelping process as well as the process of weaning the puppies from Marina. Thank goodness! I don't think I could handle preparing for my own labor and delivery while also learning how to handle Marina's.
If you are interested in a puppy let us know. Seriously. Here are some pictures of Marina and Murphy as puppies. You have to admit, they are pretty cute!
*Yes, Murphy is still "in tack". Our breeders are still hoping to show him. And we were told not to get Marina fixed until after her first cycle in order to ensure her hormones have fully matured.
**And while we will become doggie grandparents, Murphy will become a dad and an uncle at the same time. Yes, Marina and Murphy have the same mom. Don't think about it to much. :)
3 comments:
Maybe Sutter needs a playmate. Currently, he's making friends with our trash can lid and our leftover pumpkins in our back yard.
Ha! That is a great story. (Though I'm sure it was stressful to live through.) Will you be keeping one of the puppies?
This is one hilarious post :) I had no idea.... I am clearly behind on your blog!!! wow- there is a lot going on over at the Parker house :)
Post a Comment