The first couple of weeks of maternity leave I was busy, busy, busy getting my "critical to get done before the baby comes" to do list completed. Now that I am 5 weeks into maternity leave everything on that list plus some is done. Now I am sort of making up things to do. Here's what a typical day looks like...
- I usually sleep as late as I need to, usually 9 or 10. Monday night I slept horribly so I didn't get up Tuesday morning until 11:30am.
- After waking up and realizing I did not go into labor the night before it usually takes some time to shake off the disappointment. So I make myself a cup of coffee and breakfast and watch a few episodes of A Baby Story (A TLC reality show about labor and deliver).
- I quickly get tired of TV so I take a shower and get dressed.
- In the afternoon my day varies depending on if I have something scheduled. My third week on leave I realized that scheduling something that gets me out of the house makes a huge difference in my attitude. I get cabin fever way to easily!
- Some days I go for a walk with a friend and other days I meet a friend for lunch or coffee. And every two or three days I get a Chinese foot message. For $20 a pop why not!
- I usually make at least a couple of trips to Target or Buy Buy Baby every week. Even if I don't buy anything it is fun to wonder around and look at all the cute baby stuff. I also get some walking in!
- I've cooked and frozen some meals.
- I started a project to make pillows in the shape of numbers to use in the baby's monthly photo documentation. (No I have not uncovered my crafty gene. My friend Kristy is doing most of the heavy lifting!)
- I also usually end up doing some random things around the house:
- I make sure the kitchen is clean and the house is picked up. I don't want to bring a newborn home to a messy house!
- Monday I hung art work in the baby's room. I also washed all the dog toys. And I started cleaning the blinds in our bedroom.
- Last week I washed more baby clothes, organized my filing cabinet, and sorted out our 2011 tax information.
- And much to Bill's delight I'll make him lunch (if he is working from home) and dinner most days.
But I would gladly give all these things up for a baby! I keep reminding myself that one way or the other in less than two weeks he'll be here and I am sure I will be longing for these days of leisure to return. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment