I've read this story thousands of times over the years and it never ceases to amaze me how God always shows me the reality of my heart as well as the depths of his love for me in a new way. In Mark 14 Peter and the disciples proclaimed that they would never deny Jesus. Soon after their great proclamation they all fell asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane as Jesus wrestled with God over his pending death. Jesus asked that they pray, he warned them that they would fall into temptation, and he acknowledged that their spirits where willing but their bodies were weak. Yet they still feel asleep.
As Nathan's eyes grew heavy and the morning sun filled his room my eyes filled with tears as I realized that I've often done the same thing. How many times have I declared my love and commitment to Jesus and than moments later failed to do the things he has asked me to do; the things that will encourage and strengthen my spirit; the things that will bring life and love to the people around me; the things that will honor the God who created me.
Nathan feel asleep and I kept reading. Despite the disciples weak bodies that fell asleep Jesus was faithful. Out of immense love he walked the road that God had called him to and he died on the cross. He died on the cross for the disciples weaknesses as well as mine. His death paid the price for our failures. Oh what love, despite our failures God has loved us and invited us to intimacy with him. It is indeed a good Friday.
1 comment:
Amen, Karen!
Post a Comment